This permanent sign at the Melvin Memorial in the Cemetery is a gift from The Friends of Sleepy Hollow Cemetery and was installed for the rededication of the refurbished Memorial on June 19, 2019.
The Board of The Friends of Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, in collaboration with the Town’s Cemetery Committee, prepared the text for it.
The sign relates the story of and honors the memory of the three Concord Melvin brothers, Asa, John, and Samuel, all of whom perished in the Civil War. The Memorial was the work of Daniel Chester French commissioned at the request of the remaining Melvin brother James, and was formally dedicated in 1909. The text further describes the restoration work of the Memorial, and serves to inform the many visitors to the site.
In support of the need for public posting of Cemetery Regulations, The Friends of Sleepy Hollow Cemetery funded the production and installation of appropriately distinctive welcome and informative signs at the various gate entrances to the Cemetery.
The Regulations were formulated by the Town’s Cemetery Committee and were endorsed by The Friends.
Located at key positions in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery is an informative street/ path map of the Cemetery assisting visitors.
Handcrafted by the husband of a Board member of The Friends of Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, the holding cases display the Cemetery map with the numbered gravesites of well-known persons whose names and biographical data are thus referenced. Visitors are thus informed and are able to find the indicated sites.