On December 6 The Friends of Sleepy Hollow Cemetery in conjunction with the National Park Service and the family of Margaret Mulford Lothrop, reinterred her remains to be buried with her parents, Harriet Lothrop (the author of “The Five Little Peppers”) and publisher Daniel Lothrop in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. The Dee Funeral Home volunteered their services. The ceremony was very well attended with memories shared of Margaret Lothrop, who died in 1970.
Speakers at the event included Thomas Griffin, a cousin of Margaret Lothrop, and members of the National Park Service, the Daughters of the American Revolution, National Society of Children of the American Revolution and local citizens who knew Lothrop.
The Lothrops owned The Wayside – former home of the Alcotts and Nathaniel Hawthorne – and Margaret was raised there. Margaret Lothrop was the first member of the National Society of Children of the American Revolution, founded by her mother in 1895. Lothrop went on to Smith College and earned her M.A. in Economics at Stanford University. She worked for the Red Cross in WWI as a Casualty Searcher in France.
Eventually returning to Concord, Lothrop saved The Wayside after her mother’s death by opening it to tourists in 1928. She researched the occupants of the house and maintained the house for tours, writing a book “The Wayside: Home of Authors.” She had The Wayside declared a National Historic Landmark in 1963 and the house became part of the National Park Service and Minute Man National Historical Park in 1965.
Thomas Griffin, a cousin of Margaret Lothrop, speaking at the event.
The ceremony was very well attended.